Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday Round Up

Well, it's been a busy week. And a good week. I created more pages on my website, and I started reviewing (and editing, of course, because I can't read without fixing) the sequel to Everything That Matters.

All That Matters is about 3/4 complete (245 pages or so) and I haven't looked at it in a few years. Amazing what a few years can do to one's perspective.

The over-writing is glaring and obvious. And much as I'd like to skim the story to figure out where I left the reins dangling, I have to clean as I go. I'm that way with housework, too.

I start in the kitchen, but on the way to the bedroom to put away the folded laundry left on the counter, I end up clearing the dresser top. And making the bed. Then running the half-full laundry basket downstairs to top up the washer load. Back upstairs, I leave the hamper in the hall as I reroute to the kitchen and resume tidying. At some point, I'll return the hamper to its proper place and while I'm in the bedroom, I'll probably clean the closet, or realize the en-suite mirrors need a spritz and swipe. This is how I work. Circuitous, yet methodical.

I see a mess, or something out of place, I must tidy it or put it away, before moving on to the next thing. The same is true with writing.

I must clean (edit) what I encounter so I can move on to the next thing.

What about you? Are you stack and sort later kind of person, or do you need to put things away as you go? If you're a writer, are you able to skim the existing story on the way to the holes that need filling aware you'll come back and edit later, or do you edit as you go?

Please share. I welcome comments!

Deborah

Without the aid of prejudice and custom, I should not be able to find my way across the room. ~William Hazlitt

5 comments:

Mark Means said...

I'm the same way, pretty much. It's like a vicious cycle....clean..see something else that needs cleaned/straightened...try to move onto the next thing...see something else, etc...lol.

I feel your pain there.

Deborah Small said...

Hi Mark! Yes, it can be painful, yet so satisfying when you eventually turn around and it's _all_ done. :). Thank you for popping by. Take care!

Deborah Small said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I do a bit of both--if it's something glaring, I'll fix it as I go. Otherwise, I plow ahead until I'm done, and then go back for a second pass on the whole thing.

I figure as long as it works, it's the right way :)

Deborah Small said...

Exactly, Lara. No faulting method as long as there's progress (in most things ;)) :)

Take care!