Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Saturated

I've been scarce lately. Online, that is. My family still finds me routinely annoying in person, but fortunately they love me enough to pretend I'm interesting.

Interesting.

I've been musing that word for a while now, as it is in essence the reason I've been avoiding social media for months. I no longer find it interesting. I'm numb. Saturated. Cooked. Boiled. Sodden...however you want to describe it, I am full to here with Social Media. So, for peace of mind and care of soul, I have consciously stepped back, stopped adding to incessant online noise and turned inward, and toward, more personal interactions.

I joined Yoga. With a friend. It's wonderful. Not only the flexibility and relief from tension I'm enjoying, but the twice-weekly face-to-face chats I have with my friend. I love it. I love her. There's some conversations you just can't have over a smart phone. Texts and voicemail messages have their place, but they should not replace real relationships. I'm also writing more. It feels good.

I am not saying that I don't love Social Media. OK, I am saying that I don't love Social Media. But nor do I hate it. I'm simply full, uncomfortable the way one is after over-indulging on Turkey, mashed potatoes, and wine at Christmas dinner. I need to get up and walk it off, unbutton my jeans and breathe, vow to drink nothing but Kale juice and water for the next six months until I can sit down again without feeling like I might pop. So...

If you've wondered, I am here. Just not Here. As much.

For now.

D.

Let the world know you as you are, not as you think you should be, because sooner or later, if you are posing, you will forget the pose, and then where are you? Fanny Brice




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you're okay and enjoying 'real life'! :)

Deborah Small said...

Thank you, Lara. Real life is GOOD. I hope yours is as well!